Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Hodgepodge and Good Fences


Canal, Canterbury, England

Join Joyce and the Gang for

She writes the questions, we write the answers.
Click on the badge to join in!

1. Besides left over Easter goodies, what's something currently kept in a basket at your house?


Essential oils in one, maps in one, yarn in one, hats and gloves in one, more baskets in one. Yeah, I have a lot of baskets.

The empty one.
Wishing I had chickens so it could feel useful.

2. 'The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.' ~Michelangelo Buonarroti 

So which one are you...the one who aims too high, or the one who aims too low? Have you ever seen The Sistine Chapel? Did you know Michelangelo's surname prior to answering this question?

I've pondered this and don't really know. I do know that I've known way too many people who set such high expectations that they're chronically disappointed - disappointed in themselves and everyone and everything around them.  I definitely have never wanted to go down that road. Then, of course, there are others who have no goals, no imagination, no ambition, and are no fun. I hope that's not me. I have friends who think I'm an overachiever, but what do they know. I've never seen The Sistine Chapel, and I probably have heard Michaelangelo's full name before when watching a documentary, one of my favorite things.

Sign in a cafe in York, England
You can see that I liked it well enough to take a photo of it!
 :-)

3. April 7th is National Beer Day. Hmmm...wonder how that's celebrated? Do you like beer? Have a favorite? If you're not a beer drinker do you have any recipes you enjoy cooking that call for beer?



SIL with beer sampler from Das Bierhaus, Menomonie

Nope, not a beer drinker. I do like the taste of a dark ale unless it's trending toward molasses. Eric makes a great recipe using beer with a pork roast.in the CrockPot or electric skillet.  After the cooking is done, flat noodles are cooked in the beery broth, a can of some poisonous minestrone soup is stirred in, it's reduced, and the roast is served on a platter with the beer noodles as a side dish. It's delicious, but I haven't eaten it for years, due to the Campbell's soup list of ingredients (and the fact that Eric doesn't seem to be doing much cooking these days.)



So the answer is, I actually like the label better than the contents.

4. When did you last travel somewhere new? Tell us where? How'd it go?



Ha! Somewhere new! Several new places in mid-to-late March, all in England. One was Canterbury. Here are a few, just a few, photos from the Cathedral. More coming later.

 Quire

  William Courtenay, the Archbishop of Canterbury in the 14th century.

 'and his little dog, too.' 
Wouldn't a German Shepherd have been a better choice!


5. The value of __________the dollar_______________is greatly overrated.

6. What's a pet peeve of yours when it comes to restaurant dining?  Over-breaded, sauced, poisoned food; Loud children or adults.

7. It's Poetry Month...share a favorite poem, either the title, a few lines you find meaningful, or the whole kit and caboodle.

The Cremation of Sam McGee
by Robert W. Service


There are strange things done in the midnight sun

      By the men who moil for gold;

The Arctic trails have their secret tales

      That would make your blood run cold;

The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,

      But the queerest they ever did see

Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge

      I cremated Sam McGee.
***
Wait! There's more!
The rest of this charming poem can be found HERE. 


I have it in a nice little hardcover entitled, 'Great Story Poems.'


8. Insert your own random thought here. I wish we had public footpaths here, like they do in England. I know we have ATV trails, but I think you put your life at risk if you try to go for a walk on one of them. In fact, it might be illegal. Okay, that's all. Not much floating through my mind tonight, except for the impending doom that comes with knowing there's a stomach virus in the house. To say that Mr. C. has been 'under the weather' is certainly an understatement. :-(

***


Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE 

'Midnight Jasmine'


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

This Post is Linked to
TexWisGirl's


(Thursday)

49 comments:

Joyce said...

The footpaths are one of the best things about the English countryside. I've been to Canterbury and enjoyed the amazing cathedral. So many stunning churches all over Europe. Enjoy your day, and I hope your hubs is feeling better soon!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, your cathedral shots are awesome.. We have a lot of fireroads around here that we walk on, very peaceful. I love using baskets for various things, they look pretty too. I hope your hubby feels better soon. Have a happy day!

Deb said...

It's fun getting to know you better, Judy. I'm guilty for eating Campbell's soup last week. Must stop doing that but it was just too convenient. No beer for me, either. I've tried and it's a lost cause. :)

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely post, so interesting and great photos. Hope your hubby feels better soon.

Arlene G said...

Judy, I agree with you about the need for more public walking trails. I hate walking in a ciricle like a hamster on a wheel. I like to feel that I am going somewhere!! I just reviewed a book about a man who undertakes a 500 mile walk in England. It made me want to go there!! A dream for someday!!

Unknown said...

The pictures are lovely, just lovely. I love architecture so much.

Your soap looks divine. I am going to have to scoot over and check it out. We have so many sensitivities in our home and soap is a big one.

21 Wits said...

Wow, so delightful to read and your photos are top notch. I've had some of those beer samplers last one at our Mn State Fair but they glasses weren't quite that big! Very cool, and fun to try. I like the dog statue too.

Linda Kay said...

Loved your pictures of Canterbury. You are quite a basket user, and I have only a few that I pull out for some occasion or another. Not a beer drinker!

Zoanna said...

Oh, that ugly dog in his altered state. Ew. Doubt he was any cuter in life, but to each his own, right?

My mom and her sister memorized that poem as kids when they shared a bed, quoting it as a nighttime fun ritual. Twisted DNA didn't start with me! Ha! But I remember my mom quoting it so us when we were growing up and I wondered how she could smile through it. :)

MadSnapper said...

Oh no on the stomach virus. the odd thing is my hubby never gets one. in 30 years i have had maybe 6 and he never got any of them..
i use plastic baskets in cabinets and closets to organize. i have one real basket and it holds Jake toys.
no beer for me YUCK on the taste.
i have not been any where new since 1085 when we went to Ormond Beach FL. i go to the same old same old... we can't travel because of the dogs.
Have not been out of Bradenton since 07 and before that i went back and forth to GA a lot.

Cheryl said...

Like you, I corral lots of things in baskets. (Baskets are usually much cuter than the "things" are.)

Oh no! I totally understand that feeling of "impending doom." I believe that a stomach virus is the absolute worst short term illness. Hope you are spared...

Off to read the remainder of the poem. Because you recommended it, not because the title has me wanting more! :)

MadSnapper said...

PS forgot to say the canal shot in the header is awesome and brahaha on the G shepherd for the dead guy. loved those pics to

April said...

Your cathedral photos are amazing! Love to visit there one day!

NanaDiana said...

Another fun post, Judy. They asked the best one for you- about have you traveled recently? lol

Your photos of your trip are amazing.

I'm with you on the beer-can't stand it at all myself.

Hope you have a great day- xo Diana

TexWisGirl said...

sorry for the illness! love the pup at his feet. :) not a beer drinker, either.

Debby Ray said...

First of all, these are lovely photos of some of the sights from your visit! And about that little dog laying at the feet of the dead priest...He looks a lot like my Oscar, the wild and wonderful weiner dog...lol! Great hodgepodge answers too...I'm not into drinking beer either but it sure makes for some great recipes!
I hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday :)

Theresa said...

Great photos, sounds like you had a nice vacation. I hope your husband is feeling better soon and you don't catch it. Maybe you can use some of your essential oils to ward it off.

Tired Teacher said...

I agree that public footpaths would be fabulous. There's a path here converted from an old rail line, but it is boring (straight as an arrow), unattractive and unappealing. No wonder Americans are unhealthy, we don't walk much and our communities are not designed for pedestrians.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I adore the beautiful cathedral ceiling, it is gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see more! LOVE the sign and it is too true! No, I don't like beer. BUT it can be quite good in cooking, like cheese soup and such. LOVE the poem!

Terri D said...

Sorry to hear Mr. C is under the weather. Keep away!!! Your answer to #5 (the dollar) is the best one I've seen! I always, always love your photos!!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Can't wait to see more England photos!
I started laughing when I say your choice of poem. It is one of my Dad's favorites. He loves to recite it!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
I love baskets too.
I like to cook with beer. I have a stew I make with beer as well. It is so good.
Sending Mr. C a hug.
Carla

sweetbriardreams said...

It was beer day yesterday??!! I missed it!! I do like a spot of the Old Peculiar :-) Canterbury is such a wonderful historical place and the Cathedral is incredible. xx

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I have a number of baskets too and when they get too great in number I donate them to the local florist shop to recycle.
My walking is done mostly on the sidewalks around home but sometimes I make it down to the park by the lake which is nice.
I hope the stomach bug isn't shared any further in your home and that your hubby is feeling better soon. Just having lots of blogging sisters wishing him well has got to help. :-)

Romi said...

I hope Mr. C will feel better soon.

Your photo of the cathedral is beautiful.

Primitive Stars said...

Wishing Mr.C get well wishes.wonderful pictures, very nice Catherdral and love the basket. Blessings Francine.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love using baskets around the house. Those are lovely photos from your trip. I certainly haven't seen that poem before!

Chatty Crone said...

I am with you on the beer and the baskets. I sure enjoyed your answers and photos.

Anonymous said...

We had the same answer for #5! Ha!
Oh, I hope Mr. C feels better soon, and the virus stops with him.
As always, I loved your beautiful photos :)

collettakay said...

Gorgeous pictures of your travels!

I hope the Mr. feels better soon and keeps his germs to himself :)

Here's my hodgepodge:

http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2015/04/hodgepodge-4815.html

Colletta

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Your cathedral and canal shots are awesome. Great fences adn reflections. Hope your husband is feeling beetter now.

lulu said...

Once again, Judy---such a GREAT eye when it comes to photography! Thank you for sharing your pictures!
Blessings!

Carola Bartz said...

Isn't Canterbury a wonderful place? It's been a long time since I was there, but I always loved it. You are right, the footpaths in England are great - I'm not even sure they have ATVs there... Walking is much more popular in Europe than here where the car has the priority.
Oh, and I do like a good beer. For me, German beer is still the best, smooth and not so bitter.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous shots of Canterbury!

This N That said...

Love your photos today..I think it's the bronze/tea stained coloring..Great shots..I hope your husband is feeling better very soon..

A Colorful World said...

A fascinating post! Loved that first shot of the Canterbury Canal! And the Cathedral!!!! Loved reading your answers. I used to know Michelangelo's last name...it's right on the tip of my tongue!

EG CameraGirl said...

You really do use baskets! I have never been on an English footpath but they sound like something I would enjoy.

Ida said...

Those canals have always fascinated me. I wonder though if they smell, "fishy" or murky.
Very interesting post. I enjoyed your hodgepodge too.

Rose said...

I wish there were more walking paths all over, too. I have a book of Robert W. Service poems...probably my favorite poem of all time is The Spell of the Yukon. And have you read My Friends

I enjoyed reading all your comments...

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Hope you stay free of any of your hubby's germs. The photos in the church are positively stunning. I agree with your answer about your pet peeves! Have a wonderful week, Judy.

Paula said...

Not a beer drinker but I like Beer Rice and Beer Bread. As for baskets we have one on the TV full of keys. Some we know what they go to and some we have no idea but keep them anyway. Interesting blog.

Debbie said...

i love your basket, one can never have too many you know. here at the shore, we have lots of dedicated bike and walking trails. i don't walk well, so we bike...i don't do that well either but i am better on the bike than i am on foot!!

i hope you don't get what the hubbers has!!!

CraveCute said...

Wonderful photos of the cathedral. We have many paths here in our area, love walking through the parks. Great post!

Vee said...

Fun Hodge Podge! I loved seeing "The Cremation of Sam McGee," which I actually know by heart right to where you left off plus a few more lines. Oh how we loved reading that in the good old days. My grandfather loved to read it to us. Like me, he could start off pretty fair, but would need to refer to the text after a bit.

Oh a hint of your journey...I know that you must be gathering a few posts once you have your photos organized. I have always been amazed that there are walking paths all over The UK. Some of my blogging buddies have taken the walking tour of Scotland and England. Yes, it would be lovely.

Saying a prayer for your poor hubby. Have you come up with a potion that works! Hope that he is drinking plenty of liquids.

Anonymous said...

You share the most awesome photos, Judy. Like you, I love baskets!

J said...

I really enjoyed this collection of miscellaneous thoughts and photos. But my fave of the bunch is the Archbishop's little faithful dog, in place at his feet for eternity! I had no idea that sculpture existed and am so charmed by it!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful scenes - I love the little dog :) We have what is called 'Rails to trails' here, where old railroad tracks no longer in use have been turned into walking trails. Hope your hubby gets better soon and doesn't spread the bug!
I only like beer in bread :)

Robin said...

Hi Judy, I was wondering if you read my blog while I was in England, in September?

J_on_tour said...

Tantalising taster of Canterbury. Looking forward to seeing some more things to inspire me with as I'll be making that journey sometime in late July.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails