Monday, May 21, 2012

Raspberry Coconut Rhubarb Bars with Gluten-Free Version

Raspberry Coconut Rhubarb Bars
Just out of the oven!

The first thing that comes up in my garden in the spring is asparagus. The next is the rhubarb. I love those first pickings and those fresh springtime tastes!

I posted this recipe in the spring of 2010 I think. But just in case you missed it, here it is again. Everyone needs a good rhubarb recipe in their file, and this is my favorite! 

I'm giving you two of these recipes for the price of one: the regular version and the gluten-free version. Trust me, neither version lasts long around here!

Raspberry Coconut Rhubarb Bars Recipe:

4 c. chopt rhubarb

1/3 c. sugar  (The original recipe called for 1 c. of sugar, but I think that's way too sweet)
2 c. flour
½ t. soda
¾ c. butter
1 ½ c. coconut
1 t. vanilla
1 c. chopt walnuts
6 oz. regular Raspberry Jell-O.


Combine rhubarb and Jello, mixing to coat rhubarb thoroughly with Jello. Put in greased 9 x 13 pan. I like to use a glass baking dish for this recipe.






 
Mix sugar, flour, soda. Cut in butter. Stir in coconut, vanilla, and nuts. 



Spread over top of rhubarb. Bake at 350 degrees F.  for 30-45 minutes or until rhubarb is bubbling and top is lightly browned. 


Like this:




Warning: These are addictive (no matter which version you make).

Gluten-free Raspberry Rhubarb Bars Recipe:

4 c. chopt rhubarb
1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. brown rice flour (or white rice flour)
1/2 c. tapioca flour
1/2 t. xanthan gum
1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. coconut
1 t. vanilla
1 c. chopt walnuts (I'll have to admit that, in my opinion, walnuts make everything taste better! But these have really gone up in price in the past year. YIKES! So maybe this time mine will be walnut free.)

2 - 3 oz. pkgs. sugar-free Raspberry Jell-O or 6 oz. regular Raspberry Jell-O (contains sugar)


Combine rhubarb and Jello, to coat rhubarb thoroughly with Jello. Put in greased 9 x 13 pan. I like to use a glass baking dish for this recipe.

Mix sugar, flour, soda. Cut in butter. Stir in coconut, vanilla, and nuts. Spread over top of rhubarb. Bake at 350  for 30-45 minutes or until rhubarb is bubbling and top is lightly browned. 



If you have another rhubarb dessert recipe that you LOVE, feel free to leave it as a comment! :-)  Thanks.


P.S. And guess what!  Someone, who will remain nameless for this post, didn't even realize that the recipe I made was the gluten-free version. :-) He just gobbled it down and said it was good!  Oh, and when I make gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, he's doesn't know that either. (Let's keep it our secret.)



Andalusia
100% Pure Olive Oil Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch


You'll find me at These Linky Parties:
Mop it Up Monday and French Obsession and  Skip to My Lou and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Cozy Home Scenes and  Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and Inspiration Board and  Your Home Cozy and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and What's Cookin' Wednesday and Exodus 35 and Cast Party Wednesday and The Shady Porch and   We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Link it Up Thursday and Crafty Friday (Thursday) and Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and Overflowing With Creativity and  Home and Family Friday

 
Photobucket

27 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, I adore rhubarb!!! And raspberries! And coconut! And dessert bars! These are so gorgeous, and I want one RIGHT NOW with my coffee ....

MadSnapper said...

i love all four of your beautiful furbabies. got caught up in checking out their photos on your side bar. these look delish to me. i sent your post to a friend

Unknown said...

Rhubarb was one of the first things to pop up in our garden when I was growing up - and my mom always made strawberry rhubarb pie and/or bars. This definitely brings back wonderful memories!

Ruth Kelly said...

Rhubarb is one of my absolute favorites - just looking at your recipe makes me hungry. Great photos too.

Paulette said...

I haven't had rhubarb in years. Your pictures make me want to run to a farmers market and buy some. I like that you include a Gluten-Free version. ❤

Eileen H said...

They look delicious. All my favourites in a bar.

Debra Hawkins said...

Did I tell you that I am 9 days gluten free? You inspired me. Of course, I am also 9 days sugar free, which means I can't make this delicious looking recipe, but I can drool right?

Cranberry Morning said...

Debra, I've often made this with sugar-free Jell-O. :-)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Coconut?! It must be something with the weather, we have been craving coconut!! Sounds likes a great combinaton.

Unknown said...

Mmmm...fresh rhubarbs - makes me thinking of Grandma, she always had rhubarbs in her garden among many other things. Remember eating them raw...dipping them in some sugar...yummm...well we were kids hehe. It's just great memories.
Have a lovely day!

Eva

Judy S. said...

These sound good. Have you a recipe for rhubarb cake? Ours came from my sis in MN so thought you might already have it.

laurie said...

I love rhubarb and have never tried this recipe...my family will love this!

Chatty Crone said...

That looks really great - I have never made anything with rhubarb - and it is gluten free besides. Silly question - do you have a big garden? Love, sandie

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Sounds super delicious!!

The Charm of Home said...

What a delicious dessert! I also love your soaps! They look wonderful. Thanks for stopping by. I'm following you back!
Sherry

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Hello, this is my first visit with you. You have stopped by my blog a few times and I wanted to say Thank you and Welcome. I love Rhubarb so I will try this recipe for sure. I am impressed that you grow it and also asparagus. I know both of these takes a few years to establish. And as far as your secret...I'm good at keeping secrets. Your hubby won't hear it from me! Have a beautiful day!
Lisa~A Cottage to Me

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This sounds so good. I could probably even make this sugar free! I love any kind of fruit dessert!

Maggie Ann said...

That looks delish!, and I love that its gluten free....only problem is...me & rhubarb!

Joyce said...

I love raspberry and I love rhubarb and I love coconut so will give these a try!

Joyce said...

Also-added this to my pinterest board since I keep recipes there I want to try. You might get visitors from that link.

Unknown said...

i don't even like rhubarb and this recipe sounds delish. i may have to give it another shot!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Judy, I appreciate this recipe because I eat gluten free. It is a pretty dish which makes it appealing as well as tasting good, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing it at Your Cozy Home Party. I don't have a garden but can get rhubarb at a market nearby.--------- Shannon

Andi said...

Sounds lovely, and delish. Rhubarb will be available soon. thanks andi the wednesday baker

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

This looks delicious and yet I can't imagine the flavor because I've never had Rhubarb!

Hope you will stop by my weekly recipe linky and join in. http://newlyweds-blog.com/

Unknown said...

I about rhubarbed myself out last summer, but this recipe sounds so intriguing! I love raspberries and coconut... may have to give this a try!

Candace said...

I love rhubarb. So much. David had a rhubarb pie baking when I got home this evening and it smelled sooooo good in here. It tasted good too as I took a bite of his after dinner. I have to say that I would have preferred to have one of these bars though. They look amazing! I don't think I could have gotten away with just a bite so I guess it's better that he made the pie. :)

Unknown said...

I love Rhubarb and Raspberries together! These look fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails