Friday, June 17, 2011

Kirkham Priory North Yorkshire


On the banks of the River Derwent in North Yorkshire, stand the ruins of an Augustinian priory, founded in the 12th century by Walter Espec, lord of Helmsley. (See map above. The location of Kirkham Priory, between Malton and York, is represented by the red dot.) Evidently Lord Espec was busy in those days, for he also founded Rievaulx Abbey and built Helmsley Castle. Have you visited his blog??  ;-)




Places like this are just fascinating, for you can imagine what beautiful and busy places they were centuries ago!




Entrance to Kirkham Priory
this photo found online
Notice carvings to the left and right of archway 



St. George and the Dragon (left side of arch)
I still can't figure out how I managed to take these detail photos but didn't take one of the wall they were on!
I think it's something like 'can't see the forest for the trees.'


David and Goliath (right side of arch)







So that was in the 12th century. Now fast-forward nine hundred years and you'd have found British forces training for the Normandy invasion by scaling the walls of the ruins of Kirkham Priory.  Nearby, Allied troops tested landing vehicles prior to D-Day with Winston Churchill and King George VI popping in to observe the troops.




'We shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender...' 
 
-Winston Churchill, June 4, 1940



Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

10 comments:

Under Her Wings said...

Just checking in to wish you a blessed weekend and to look at the beautiful pictures. I'll be gone to camp next week--no computers, little cell phone service, lots of sports competition, Bible drills, missionary stories, character lessons on Stonewall Jackson, Bible teaching, swimming, arts and crafts. Can you tell it's a kids' camp? I'm the camp grandmother this year. Our 94 year old decided not to go. I'm in charge of Oral Interpretation, also a competition. EVERYTHING is a competition--wonderful competition. Can't wait. (Can you tell?)

Unknown said...

Those ruins truly are fascinating.

Robin said...

These pictures bring back so many memories. Have you visit Jervaulx Abbey? It's not far from Rievaulx Abbley, it also is so beautiful. Have a great weekend.

Empty Nester said...

I was staring at the pictures just trying to imagine the ruins as they were originally and the life going on at the time. We really are a young nation compared to Europe, aren't we?!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Yey! Travel Day! The names sound very familiar. Just trying to remember which book I have read that they are mentioned. James Harriot? Or maybe it is just from something you have blogged about before? :)

Carla from The River said...

Winston Churchill, one of my favorites! Great photos and a history lesson. Makes my day.

jennyfreckles said...

When I was a child we often went on hoiday to Scarborough and Kirkham Priory was the favoured stop for lunch. I still associate it with cream crackers and cheese (the crackers a bit soggy from having been packed.) But I loved the quiet little valley and in those days you used to get a great surprise view as you came down the hill. Now the trees have grown and obscured it. Thanks for the memories.

Mama Hen said...

Wow! I love these travel posts! This is beautiful! My sister and family are going to England next week. I will refer her to your site. Have a great weekend! happy Father's Day to your hubby!

Mama Hen

George The Lad said...

Fancy seeing George and the Dragon, this is another place I have not been to, thanks for taking us along, you must have had a very busy time when you visited the UK!!
Pop by my bloggie I have something I'd like you to see ;)
George xxx

J_on_tour said...

So near and yet so far. I'm sorry to say I hadn't heard of it. I must say the photo style that you have here, as always, is one that tempts me to go. The stone carvings were well spotted and preserved. You will understand that I appreciate the twin arch photo. With regards to the end of your post, A long time ago I remember passing Eden Camp (WWII barracks) at nearby Malton, but didn't have time to go in as it was late in the day and needed to get back home. You might find that interesting to look up.

On a side note ... This post reminds me of your Castle Bolton post ... that I can't seem to fit in to my schedule although 12 of us passed the end of the road on a vintage bus service yesterday from Leyburn to Hawes. Walked to Hardraw force & back.... another one of your posts I remember. Your photo of the fire and the fireside chair in the Green Dragon (artistic license connection to this post !! ) pub hit me when I saw it in real life !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails