Friday, August 6, 2010

England's Red Phone Boxes

Click on image to enlarge

What?? you ask. We're still in Yorkshire? 

Yes, I'm afraid that my husband and I enjoyed Yorkshire so much that you'll have to endure several more photos of that lovely part of northern England. So once again, here we are, with our little travelogue in...drumroll...Yorkshire, England.

Okay class, on the map above, circled in pen, you will find the town of Thirsk. I realize there are many other marks on my map also, but for now just try to ignore them. I tend to mark out routes on my maps when we're traveling. And if I ever get back to Yorkshire, I must get to a Tourist Information Centre and purchase another map. This one is falling apart and in many places is held together with tape. To the tourist's eye, Thirsk is roughly in the center of Yorkshire, between the Yorkshire Dales (west) and Yorkshire Moors (east), and is where Alf Wight, whose nom de plume was James Herriot, had his veterinary practice. I wrote a post about All Creatures Great and Small at an earlier date, in case any of you James Herriot fans would like to see The World of James Herriot Museum.

As my husband and I were traveling on the A61 west of Thirsk, we came upon the little village of Carlton Miniott.  On the map above, I have drawn an orange line from Thirsk to Carlton Miniott.  What caught my eye was the huge lot full of discarded red phone boxes. Yes, you heard me right...discarded!!

 Photo by Guy Hatton, Flickr
It was almost like visiting an animal shelter. I saw all those phone boxes in need of a good home. Only difference is, they couldn't bark and paw at the fence. Immediately, I began contemplating how I might be able to transport  them back to the States to homes that would adopt them. Of course I wasn't being particularly realistic at that point, but it disturbed me that so many phone boxes, once in use somewhere, probably loved for many years, were cast off and thrown on the dung heap (as it were).

I have even heard rumors that the wonderful red phone box is being replaced with the boring black and silver, modern phone box. How could this be?? I'm hoping this is only a malicious rumor.

My friend Bethany recently sent me this article from BBC News which I thought you would enjoy. It gave me hope that at least some of those wonderful old phone boxes are getting a second chance.

I would still love to have a red phone box in my garden. This one is in Hawling, in the Cotswolds.


From the back - a row of phone boxes in Ripon 


Have a great weekend!



This post is linked to Friday-Follow

20 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I'd love one of those in my garden too! What's it cost to ship? :)

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Barb said...

Oh! I want one, too! I had to take pictures of them when we were in Scotland last summer. But only found 2 to take pictures of.
Just stopping by from New Friend Friday. Happy Weekend!

Michelle said...

Oh, I love those red phone boxes! I hope they do not replace them. There was one in one of your photos from last travels and I almost commented on them! Too bad you weren't able to rescue one of those forlorn boxes to bring home!

Kathiey's World said...

Hi Judy,
I am visiting you from Durham NC, USA, through New Friend Friday. I have never been anywhere in Europe so I really enjoyed reading your post. The only red phone booth I have ever come across is sitting outside a Brasa Steakhouse in Raleigh NC. I don't know the connection except for the fact it is pretty:-) I love your family shot and your all your pets.
Thanks for your post
Kathiey:-)

even-star said...

you should have "liberated" one! I have a corner of the garden that has been needing some... thing... hmmmm. A61 you say? Carlton Miniott you say? Ahem, excuse me, I'll be right back.

Unknown said...

I think the old red phone boxes are so wonderful.. I'd love to have one too! In my office we have three old American silver and blue phone booths, but they are nothing compared to the red ones! Heck, if you are under 25 you might not even know what one is!! lol

Unknown said...

stopping by from NFF I love the red phone boxes, I think we have 1 here in Houston ha! I love the photo of all the old ones, looks like there would be alot of history behind them for some reason. Anyway have a great weekend!

Mama Hen said...

I love those red phone boxes! Like I said before, it makes me want to go back to England. I hope they don't change the color! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

mysteryhistorymom said...

My goodness, what a lovely blog you have! I loved reading about your travels, your family, your faith and even a great recipe! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment, too.:) Lori

Rachel said...

LOVE the pictures! If you ever get a red phone box in your garden, I totally want to see pictures of that!! ;)

Still jealous that you are in England. It's making my trip to Atlanta next weekend not look as spectacular!! ;)

Have a great weekend!

:)
Rachel

Country Girl in the City said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I answered your questions about the VBS craft. Love your blog. LOVE your post on the James Herriot Museum. I am a big fan, have read all the books and it is something close to my heart as I am trained as an Animal Health Technologist (aka Veterinary Nurse).

Also love your hand made soaps. I have been using hand made soap for a least a couple of years now. So much nicer. It's on my to do list to learn how to make my own one day!

Jill said...

Hi! just wanted to stop by and say hi and to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me a sweet comment! Yes PA is a beautiful state, we've lived in several LOL Great to meet you, stop by again! You have a lovely blog!
Blessings,
Jill

Unknown said...

I would LOVE to look out of my new sun room (whenever it is officially finished!) and see a red phone box in my flower garden (whenever I get it designed, dug, planted, watered, and growing!)

Love the pics! The red just jumps out at me! Nice!

Denise said...

Those are so awesome, enjoy your weekend sweet friend.

Candace said...

I love those! El Dorado, AR has one of those in their downtown area. I had to take a picture of it because I loved it so much.

Jennifer Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I thought I would click over to yours. What a great blog. I noticed the soaps on the sidebar. LOVELY! I have always wanted to learn to make handmade soap. :)

Jerry Nelson said...

Happy Birthday Judy. I know I'm two days late but at least I didn't forget altogether. We are on Orcas Island finishing up a 7 day vacation with the whole family - good time. I love your blog site. I've been following it lately. Stephanie said yesterday, "Judy is an evangelist." I agree. May your day after the day after your birthday be a good one. Love you! Jerry

Marty said...

Hey it's Marty from Furry Friends Friday. I got my button fixed, thanks so much for pointing that out for me!! If you'd like, please replace the old one with then new one, it takes you straight to my blog now.

I love the name of your blog by the way! Hope to see you soon!

J_on_tour said...

Great post and yet so sad, i'm going to have to check out Carlton Miniott, i've never heard of it before, come to think of it, I never see much of Thirsk either as the train rattles past at 200kmh.
I found a website called www.bygones.net/view.asp?ID=6072 that offers reconditioned phone boxes for sale..... although at £1875 GBP and 750kg, you can imagine what the quotation price for their shipping service to the USA would be !!
One thing I have learned, I will keeping a closer eye on the operational ones now in country towns ...with my camera.
Great blog site by the way, there are a few other things that interest me on your pages that you may not have guessed. I'll be popping back again at regular intervals ..... if you don't mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails