Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Balsamic Chicken and Summer Squash

 Yellow Crookneck Squash and blossom

With all the produce coming from the garden now, it's a great time to make this Balsamic Chicken and Summer Squash dish. As is true of most of my recipes, this is very easy. It takes a little time to chop and dice, but with my radio on in the background, it's a pleasant way to spend a little time preparing a delicious dinner.

Yellow Crookneck, Zucchini, and Onion from the garden

Ingredients:
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small slices
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
1 small zucchini, cut into chunks (I leave the skin on)
1 or 2 small yellow crookneck squash, cut into chunks
Fresh mushrooms (or canned)
Black olives, cut in half (If you've not yet noticed, I use almost any excuse to add black olives.)
1/4 c. Kraft (or Newman's Own) Light Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing



Stirfry the chicken and garlic in the olive oil until browned. Lift with a slotted pancake turner and set aside onto a plate. Now, in that same skillet, stirfry the onion and peppers until onion is translucent. Then return chicken back to the skillet. Add Squash and stirfry until it's cooked but not mushy. It will still have a bit of crunch to it. Add black olives and mushrooms. Pour balsamic vinaigrette dressing over top. Stirfry a minute longer to mix and heat everything thoroughly.

I sprinkled a little Parmesan cheese on top. It really didn't need it. So why did I do it? I'm not sure. But it was good. This makes a colorful and delicious dish that everyone will love - that is, everyone who doesn't hate anything but mac'n'cheese or pizza. :-)


This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

15 comments:

Denise said...

Yum, yum, yummy.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that looks SO good!!! I have most of the ingredients, but can't take anything to work that has meat in it. And I have plans to meet friends for dinner. I'm going to be obsessing about this until I can make it!

Bethany Nash said...

Any excuse to put parmesan cheese on something is valid.

Michelle said...

Oh yum! I love balsamic vinegar but don't cook with it very often. Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Yummy! I have got to find someone with zucchini/squash growing in his/her garden!

Anonymous said...

Your produce is beautiful! There's nothing like picking and eating. :) Summer dishes like this one are perfect in the heat we are experiencing this summer, it's unbelievable!

Unknown said...

Yes, I would love a plate, thank you!!! I love that the veggies are straight from your garden too....beautiful!!!

Linda Stubbs said...

Can I come to your house for dinner? Your pictures are beautiful!!!!!!!! The bugs kept getting my squash. The blossoms on yours were huge!! Very nice post, I will use this recipe for sure.

Have a good day! I think we are fencing! Smile
Blessings sweet friend, Linda

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Ohhh that looks amazing!!! I'm so jealous of your bountiful garden!


Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

the country cook said...

That does look really delicious! I love the fact that you used the food from your garden - I'll bet fresh veggies made it taste just that much better. I'm still waiting for mine to flower!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YUMMYY!!! :D Love fresh veggies!

Unknown said...

That looks so good! Yum!

Judy S. said...

That does sound tasty! I love yellow squash.

Debra Hawkins said...

Those squashes are gorgeous! That sounds so yummy!

Prairie Story said...

Looks great! So many great things you can do with squash. ~Alison

PS I have a recipe swap on my blog that you may be interested in --> http://prairiestory.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails